Pristine Tasmania: Coral Discoverer
Tasmania coastal wilderness
Taking advantage of the long summer days in Tasmania by exploring Tasmania’s iconic coastal National Parks, and World Heritage Areas, led by an experienced Expedition Team. Highlights include hiking the Fluted Cape Track at Bruny Island, and exploring Wineglass Bay on the Freycinet Peninsula. Spend a day exploring the untouched wilderness World Heritage Area at Port Davey and Bathurst Harbour, undoubtedly one of the most pristine and beautiful landscapes on earth. Absorb the surreal beauty and tragic stories at Port Arthur. On-board is a menu of Tasmanian produce, wines and local specialties
- Spend two full days exploring Port Davey World Heritage Wilderness area and Bathurst Harbour
- Hike the Wineglass Bay Track in Freycinet National Park
- Experience the diverse wildlife and history of Maria Island
- Be in awe of 300m high sea cliffs at Tasman National Park
- Delight in produce-driven food experiences and Tasmania’s cool-climate wines
- Spot Fur Seals hauling up to Tasmania’s rocky cliffs
- Marvel at the proud shipbuilding and maritime heritage at the Wooden Boat Centre in Franklin
Become enchanted by Tasmania’s breathtaking National Parks; from the perfect circular formation of Wineglass Bay, to the dramatic peaks of pink granite at Freycinet Peninsula, or the remote wildlife haven of Maria Island National Park. Guided by an expert Expedition Team and a Tasmania specialist who knows the area inside out, you’ll embark on easy to moderate short hikes including the famed Cape Hauy Track at Tasman Peninsula and the rugged Fluted Cape on Bruny Island.
If conditions allow, spend two days exploring the untouched Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area at Port Davey and Bathurst Harbour. Normally only accessible by seven-day hike or light aircraft, this region is undoubtedly one of the most pristine and beautiful landscapes on earth.
The 7-night itinerary allows our guests to experience an authentic expedition voyage. The flexible itinerary enables the Captain to respond to weather conditions, ensuring you enjoy a complete and memorable expedition no matter the conditions. In the spirit of adventure, guests will be advised the day prior where their next adventure lies – perhaps an Oyster Farm, an coastal walk, or even a seal colony basking in the sunlight.
See Tasmania in a new way!
OverviewTaking advantage of the long summer days in Tasmania by exploring Tasmania’s iconic coastal National Parks, and World Heritage Areas, led by an experienced Expedition Team. Highlights include hiking the Fluted Cape Track at Bruny Island, and exploring Wineglass Bay on the Freycinet Peninsula. Spend a day exploring the untouched wilderness World Heritage Area at Port Davey and Bathurst Harbour, undoubtedly one of the most pristine and beautiful landscapes on earth. Absorb the surreal beauty and tragic stories at Port Arthur. On-board is a menu of Tasmanian produce, wines and local specialties.
- A unique experience awaits at the UNESCO World Heritage listed Port Arthur Historic Site. Australia’s most intact convict site, between 1833 and 1877 the penal colony housed Britain and Australia’s worst criminals, and was considered inescapable. Today, the Historic Site has over 30 buildings, ruins and restored period homes set in 100 acres of landscaped grounds. In the company of Port Arthur’s resident Archaeologist, join an exclusive ‘behind the scenes tour’ of the site, which includes access to private collections and historic buildings not accessible to the general public and a private reception to enjoy Tasmanian wines and canapes made from locally sourced ingredients.
- Note on fitness levels: this trip is suitable for passengers of all fitness levels, though reasonable mobility is required to enjoy all it has to offer. Our Xplorer tender permits easy boarding without climbing any stairs. Hikes vary in intensity and where possible we split groups to suit easy and moderate walkers. Guests are welcome to opt out of any excursion and relax onboard – our top deck outdoor lounge is great on a sunny day. The ship has no elevator. As the itinerary covers remote regions, it is not suitable for passengers with serious medical conditions.
- Note that each itinerary will include a mix of the above attractions, depending on prevailing conditions. The Captain and Expedition Team will make daily itinerary changes to maximise the guest experience and take advantage of opportunities opened up by weather. There will be a daily briefing onboard to advise guests on the upcoming day’s activities. Time of departure and return are guaranteed – the rest is an adventure! The expedition will visit Port Davey and Bathurst Harbour conditions permitting. We always aim to visit these beautiful destinations, but if we are not able to enter, an alternative destination more appropriate to the inclement weather conditions will be chosen by the Captain.
- The summer temperature can still be very cool especially with the wind chill so warm layered clothing is essential.
Luxury Expedition Ship M/V Coral Discoverer
Launched in 2005 Coral Discoverer set a new benchmark standard for luxury small ship cruising in Australia and the South Pacific. The state-of-the-art 1800-tonne Coral Discoverer embarks on expedition cruises around Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, South-east Asia and the island archipelagos of Melanesia. Coral Discoverer is equipped with latest technology active stabilisers to ensure comfortable cruising in open waters and is fitted with state-of-the-art safety and navigation equipment and wireless internet facilities.
Coral Discoverer was built to the exacting international SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea) standards and specifications by NQEA shipyard in Cairns, Australia with one aim in mind; to create the ultimate small ship cruising experience in the South Pacific. Australian flagged, and staffed entirely by an Australian and New Zealand crew, your cruise aboard Coral Discoverer will remain in your memory for a lifetime.
- All excursions and sightseeing
- Use of Xplorer and Zodiac tender vessels
- Daily lectures and briefings
- All meals, chef-prepared on board
- Showcase wines, selected beers, and juices
- with lunch and dinner service
- 24 hour coffee, selection of teas, and soft drinks
- All entrance fees to National Parks and Ports
- Pre and post flights, accommodation & travel insurance
- Entry visas to Australia
- Alcoholic beverages outside of lunch and
- dinner service
- Telephone and internet services › Laundry
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!