Antarctic Basecamp M/V Plancius
An expedition cruise for adventurers! M/V Plancius becomes our base camp for this Antarctica cruise. 'Base camp' is by definition a temporary storing and starting place, from which an activity starts. 'Activity modules' are offered which go beyond a normal Antarctic shore program. The vessel will stay for two or three days at specific locations to serve our active passengers as a comfortable hub to allow more time than usual for wide ranging activities. Try out climbing, hiking, kayaking, photography workshops, camping and even polar diving in Antarctica!
- Activities for everyone: climbing, hiking, kayaking, photography safaris, camping, Zodiac cruises, polar diving (all activities free of charge except polar diving)
- Camp near the penguin colonies
- Observe wildlife from your kayak
- Flora and fauna of Antarctic Peninsula
- Antarctic Peninsula’s magical scenery
Yearning to do exciting and inspiring activities in Antarctica? This is your chance to try them all!
OverviewAn expedition cruise for adventurers! M/V Plancius becomes our base camp for this Antarctica cruise. 'Base camp' is by definition a temporary storing and starting place, from which an activity starts. 'Activity modules' are offered which go beyond a normal Antarctic shore program. The vessel will stay for two or three days at specific locations to serve our active passengers as a comfortable hub to allow more time than usual for wide ranging activities. Try out climbing, hiking, kayaking, photography workshops, camping and even polar diving in Antarctica!
- *10 night/11 day itineraries spend one less day in the Antarctic Peninsula.
- A Basecamp itinerary to the Antarctic Peninsula is illustrated above. All itineraries are for guidance only. Programs may vary depending on local ice and weather conditions, the availability of landing sites and opportunities to see wildlife. The final itinerary will be determined by the Expedition Leader on board. Flexibility is paramount for expedition cruises. During the “Basecamp Plancius” departures all offered activities (including camping, kayaking, snowshoe/hiking, mountaineering, photo workshops as well as standard included shore excursions and zodiac cruises) are free of charge, except for scuba diving (this is supplemented).
- Photos copyright: Jorg Ehrlich, Jan Bryde, Jim Mayer, Francois Deriberolles, Erwin Vermeulen, Anjali Pande
Scrolling is disabled on map, please click to enable.
Expedition Vessel: M/V Plancius
M/V "Plancius" was built in 1976 as an oceanographic research vessel for the Royal Dutch Navy and was named "Hr. Ms. Tydeman". The ship sailed for the Dutch Navy until June 2004 and was completely rebuilt as a 114-passenger vessel in 2009. M/V "Plancius" complies with the latest SOLAS-regulations (Safety Of Life At Sea), is classed by Lloyd's Register in London and flies the Dutch flag. M/V "Plancius" accommodates 114 passengers in 53 passenger cabins with private toilet and shower in 4 quadruple porthole cabins, 2 triple porthole cabins, 9 twin porthole cabins, 26 twin cabins with window and 2 twin deluxe cabins, all (ca. 15 square metres) and 10 twin superior cabins (ca. 21 square metres).
- Voyage aboard the designated vessel as indicated in the itinerary.
- All meals throughout the voyage aboard the ship including snacks, coffee and tea.
- Free use of rubber boots and snowshoes
- Pre-scheduled group transfer from the vessel to the airport in Ushuaia (directly after disembarkation).
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the voyage by Zodiac.
- Program of lectures by noted naturalists and leadership by experienced expedition staff.
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program.
- Comprehensive pre-departure material.
- Any airfare whether on scheduled or charter flights.
- Pre- and post land arrangements.
- Transfers to the vessel.
- Passport and visa expenses.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Meals ashore.
- Baggage, cancellation and personal insurance (which is strongly recommended).
- Excess baggage charges.
- All items of a personal nature such as laundry, bar, beverage charges and telecommunication charges.
- The customary gratuity at the end of the voyages for stewards and other service personnel aboard (guidelines will be provided).
- Possible fuel surcharges; It is agreed that if world fuel prices will reach or exceed US Dollar 120 per Barrel Brent 90 days prior to departure Oceanwide Expeditions reserves the right to levy a fuel surcharge of US $ 25 per passenger per night for bookings outside Europe and EURO 18 per passenger per night for bookings within Europe, to be paid by the contracting party of Oceanwide Expeditions.
Expeditions Online Newsletter
Sign up to be an Expeditions Online insider and receive info on exclusive deals, discounts and more!